I have always loved Granola bars. Honestly whats there not to love? Sweet, chewy and healthy (well depends on the ingredients) . So I wanted to introduce these bars to my kids. Both kids love sweet things (takes after their parents I guess). Summer vacations are on and healthy snacks need to be kept handy.
When I first heard about Granola I wondered what it is. So for the uninitiated, this is what Wikipedia has to say about it
“Granola is a breakfast food and snack food consisting of rolled oats, nuts, honey or other sweeteners, such as brown sugar, and sometimes puffed rice, that is usually baked until it is crisp, toasted and golden brown. It is often combined into a bar form, which makes it easy to carry for packed lunches, hiking, or other outdoor activities.”
The main ingredients for this Granola are Oats, Dates, honey, peanut butter, and almonds.
All ingredients are healthy. If you are making this for your kids remember to chop the almonds finely and dry roast them. I would generally store these granola bars in a fridge in an air tight container. These bars store well for more than a week and very handy for snacking.
While looking for a recipe, particularly a no-bake one I came across this recipe at Minimalist Baker. After I made this quick no bake oats and dates bar the fussy eater loved it. The older one does not like peanut butter and did not like the granola bar as well.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
No Bake Oats and Dates Granola Bar
- De-seed the dates. If the dates are dry soak them in water for 5 mins and then de-seed them.
- Once deseeded, put the dates in mixer/food processor. Dates will be reduced to small pieces and into a lump
- Dry roast the almond and then chop them into smaller pieces
- Dry roast the oats on the gas oven for about 5 - 10 mins
- Now place almonds, dates and oats in a mixing bowl
- Next, warm the honey and peanut butter in a microwave for 30 seconds. You can also warm in a saucepan over a gas oven.
- Stir the honey and peanut butter and pour over the oats mixture. Mix thoroughly and break up the dates
- After mixing thoroughly transfer to a baking dish or frying pan greased or lined with parchment paper.
- Flatten uniformly using a spoon or a glass. Make sure that the bars are packed tightly.
- Keep it in the fridge for 20 - 30 mins to firm up.
- Remove from fridge and chop into bars. If your kids like it round make them into balls before putting them in the fridge.