I am a peanut nut. Does that make me a monkey? Hope not. I also love peanut butter ( nobody else in the family shares that love). I like my peanut butter a little chunky but you don’t get it often in India. So I decided to make it at home and it turned out to be super easy. But why should you make peanut butter at home when you can buy it at a store ?
Here is the case for making Peanut Butter at home
Super easy to make at home
The only two things that you need to make peanut butter are peanuts ( dry roasted on oven or gas oven ) and a mixer/food processor.
No added sugar
Once you have made peanut butter at home you will realise that peanut has a sweet taste. Depending on how sweet you like your peanut butter you may not have to add any sweet
No added hydrogenated oil
If you do not live under a rock you might know by now that hydrogenated oil is harmful to you. In case you want to read more on hydrogenated oil here is a link. In commercially produced peanut butter hydrogenated oil is added to make it smoother and also prevent separation of While making peanut butter at home, you can add non-hydrogenated cooking oil (preferably olive oil) or no oil at all. The peanuts by themselves are oily and on being ground
No added Preservatives
Store bought peanut butter generally contains preservatives mostly benzoic acid (active ingredient). Side effects of the benzoic acid include gastrointestinal irritation, asthma, rashes and itching and skin irritation. Though these preservatives are in trace quantities it is best to eat food that does not contain preservatives.
Storing Homemade Peanut Butter
As no preservatives are added and given the heat and humidity in most parts of India it is advisable to store the peanut butter in an airtight container. And finish within 2 months or so.
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
How to make Peanut Butter at home?
- Peanuts dry roasted - 500 g
- Dry roast the peanuts in a gas oven for 10 - 15 mins. If using an oven roast peanuts Place peanuts in a mixer/food processor. Turn the food processor on and let it run for 4-5 minutes.
- Peanuts will go in stages from crumbs to a dry ball to a smooth and creamy "liquid" peanut butter. Stir in the sugar, honey, or salt, if you want.
- If you are not happy with the consistency you might add olive oil and process for a minute again
- Store in the fridge in a clean air tight container.