Gondhoraj Chicken| Kafir Lime Flavoured Chicken Curry
At home, both fish and chicken are well loved. So it was tough deciding between Chicken and Fish for today. I wanted to make the runny Bengali Sunday Chicken that was cooked often at home but then I decided to give it a new twist and use my current favourite fresh Kafir Lime leaves. The aromatic and lemony Gondhoraj Lebu smell is so refreshing, esp. in the summer. This is light, flavourful and easy to digest in the summer heat.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
Gondhoraj Chicken/ Kafir Lime Flovoured Chicken Curry
- Main Ingredient
- Chicken - 1 kg
- Gondhoraj Lebu/Kafir Lime (handful of leaves) - 20 leaves
- Garam masala powder - 2 tsp
- Ginger Paste
- garlic paste
- Red Chili Powder
- Haldi / Turmeric powder
- Potato - 150
- Clean the chicken pieces and then marinate with ginger paste, garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder (optional), garam masala powder, salt and ghondhoraj lebu/kafir lime juice for at least 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a frying pan /kadhai over a high/medium flame.
- To the heated oil add whole garam masala, bay leaf, dry red chillies (optional) and crushed garlic.
- Fry till garlic turns light brown. Add the marinated chicken and give it a good stir.
- Cover and cook for a couple of minutes.Cook the chicken till half to 3/4 done.
- Stir often and cook until the oil separates from the mixture.
- Transfer the contents of the kadhai/frying pan to a pressure cooker (if you are running short of time) or continue to cook in the kadhai.
- Add enough hot water to immerse both the chicken and the potatoes.Add enough hot water to immerse both the chicken and the potatoes.
- Check the seasoning and add garam masala, kafir lime leaves or gondhoraj lebu juice ( substitute for kafir lime leaves).
- Cook on medium/low flames for 4- 5 whistles and turn off the gas.
- Wait till the lid of the pressure cooker opens and serve hot with steamed rice.
- If cooking in the kadhai turn off the gas when the chicken becomes tender and the gravy thickens as per your preference. Now give it a standing time of 5-6 minutes and serve with steamed rice.
P.S Some people shallow fry the potatoes but I prefer to eat healthy and so I do not fry it.